Brink & Westergard Blog - #4

JIM WESTERGARD

Over the past two or three decades wood engraving has been my medium of choice. When I’ve had requests to illustrate books I’ve often made the decision to use wood engraving or the publisher has requested it. I print the wood engraving illustrations in limited editions as well. When the Fly on the Wall project began I considered using wood engravings for each story but discarded that notion early when I thought about the number of images I would have to create and the time it would take to create a wood engraving for each of these. I chose to use pen and ink drawings for the images because the marks were similar to those used in wood engraving, except in reverse (black marks on white for the drawings and white on black for the wood engravings). Here’s are two wood engravings:

No comments: